Barley is a whole grain and is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It’s available in many forms, ranging from barley grits to hulled barley, flour and flakes. Barley is also sold commercially in powder, tablet, and capsule forms.
In this article, we’ll discuss the different forms of barley, and the health and beauty benefits you can gain from this amazing superfood.
What is Barley?
Barley is a plant, and people use the grain to make medicine.
Barley can be taken by mouth to lower blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol, as well as to promote weight loss. It is also taken by mouth for digestive complaints, including inflammatory bowel conditions, stomach pain, and diarrhea. Barley is also used for cancer prevention.
Some people directly apply barley to the skin to treat acne, boils, and other skin problems. In manufacturing, barley is used as a natural sweetener, food grain, and as ingredient for drinks.
Types of Barley
Did you know that there are different types of barley available? Here’s a quick guide of some of the types of barley commonly sold in stores today.
- Barley Capsule. Barley is available in capsule form. For instance, Amazing Barley 500mg pure barley grass powder is packed in vegetable capsules without any additives.
- Barley Juice Powder. Barley grass juice powder comes from the tender young grass grown from barley seed, harvested when it’s at the peak of its protein, vitamin, and chlorophyll concentration, before the grass produces any grain. Barley grass juice powder can be mixed in water, juice, or mixed to a smoothie.
- Flaked Barley. Like the rolled oats (oatmeal) they resemble, barley flakes are grains that have been flattened. Typically, they are cooked and offered as a hot cereal, but they can also be mixed into baked goods.
- Barley Flour. Barley flour is a mild-flavored flour made from barley grain. It contains a modest amount of gluten, though not enough to provide structure for most baked goods.
- Barley Pasta. Barley pasta is one of the many pasta varieties that is currently available on the market. Barley flower is a nutty-tasting pasta made from barley flour.
Health and Beauty Benefits of Barley
Here are 12 amazing health and beauty benefits of barley you probably didn’t know.
Barley Health Benefits
- It’s great for breakfast.
Barley is packed with nutrients and makes a satisfactory meal. It’s packed with fiber and essential minerals, such as copper, manganese, tryptophan, and selenium. It gives you energy and keeps you full and satisfied for a good part of the day. Also, the manganese in barley helps you feel energetic and happy; it also calms your nervous system.
- It helps promote bone health.
The copper, zinc, magnesium, and calcium in barley all contribute to improved bone strength and structure. For instance, zinc plays a crucial role in bone development and mineralization. Meanwhile, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, and calcium contribute to bone health and are vital for maintaining a strong skeletal system.
- It may help you lose weight.
Barley may reduce hunger and promote feelings of fullness – both of which may lead to eventual weight loss. Barley has a high fiber content which can help lessen hunger. How? Soluble fibers, such as beta-glucan, form a gel-like substance in your gut which can slow the absorption and digestion of nutrients. In turn, this can curb your appetite and promotes a feeling of fullness. Also, soluble fiber may target belly fat linked with metabolic disease.
- It’s an excellent source of vitamin B (niacin).
Barley is an excellent source of vitamin B (niacin) that provides numerous benefits to our cardiovascular system. Niacin can help reduce lipoprotein, free radicals, and bad cholesterol. It also lowers the risk of blood clots.
- It can keep your colon and intestine healthy.
Barley, a great source of fiber, can help keep your body toxin-free. Barley grass that is full of dietary fiber acts as a fuel source to the friendly bacteria of the large intestine. These bacteria help in fermenting the fiber content of the barley, therefore forming butyric acid that’s the primary fuel for intestinal cells. Barley is considerably efficient at maintaining a healthy colon. By keeping your colon and intestine in good health, barley helps reduce bowel movement time and keeps your stomach clean. It also significantly decreases the chances of colon cancer, too.
- It promotes healthy teeth.
Barley is rich in vitamin C, calcium, and phosphorus – these are excellent contributors to healthy bones and teeth. In particular, barley juice is high in calcium. It also contains copper, phosphorus, and manganese – all of which are good for your bones and teeth.
- It inhibits the formation of gallstones.
Barley’s high fiber content may help inhibit the formation of gallstones. The type of insoluble fiber found in barley may help inhibit the formation of gallstones and reduce the likelihood of gallbladder surgery. One study shows that people on a fiber-rich diet are three times more likely to have healthy gallbladders than those on a protein-rich diet.
Barley Beauty Benefits
- It has anti-aging properties.
Barley contains antioxidants which can help you look younger. Barley also helps to eliminate toxins from the body, giving you the appearance of healthier and younger-looking skin.
- It improves skin elasticity.
Barley is rich in selenium, and selenium preserves skin elasticity. Also, selenium improves many functions in your body, which are typically reflected by your skin.
- It stimulates hair growth and promotes healthy hair.
Typically, nutritional deficiencies are reflected in your hair. Barley contains essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants needed for the production of healthy hair. Barley also contains minerals such as Procyanidin B-3, niacin, and thiamin which help promote and stimulate hair growth.
- It has skin healing properties.
Barley contains zinc which can help heal the skin and repair wounds, if any. By taking barley powder orally or applying it directly to the skin, users can notice a significant reduction in wounds or facial lesions.
- It promotes overall skin health.
Barley is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals – all of which are great for your skin.
The Bottom Line
Barley is a very healthy grain and is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It’s available in many forms, ranging from barley grits to hulled barley, flour and flakes. Barley is also sold commercially in powder, tablet, and capsule forms.
Barley offers numerous health and beauty benefits. It promotes weight loss, bone health, healthy teeth, and it inhibits the formation of gallstones. In terms of its beauty benefits, barley promotes healthy hair, skin elasticity, and it promotes overall skin health.
So, if you’re looking for a supplement that’s not only great for your health but can also provide you with beauty benefits, look no further than barley!